Tuesday, July 23, 2013

How To: Make the Most of Your Year as a Titleholder

How To: 

Make the Most of Your Year as a Titleholder



Congratulations!! You're officially a titleholder. Wondering what's next? Start here!

Step 1. Tell everyone. At first, I was nervous people would judge me so I didn't tell many people about my new title. Then I realized, why not?! You obviously can't make everyone like or support you, so not everyone will be happy for you. But I promise, there are people that will make you feel special and remind you that this is a huge accomplishment and you should be proud to tell the world. You won this title and you were the best person for the job. Be proud of it!

Step 2. Get involved! Don't wait for people to ask you to participate in events, do it on your own! Call organizations, speak to schools and stores, reach out to people. Don't sit around and wait for events. I wanted to make the most of my year, so I immediately started reaching out to people. I participated in my first parade eight days after receiving my crown. Don't wait!

Step 3. Do things you're passionate about. You have one year with this crown, make the most of your opportunities! I got to go backstage during Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella on Broadway and take a photo with my idol Laura Osnes wearing our crowns. When else would I get to do that?! Call your favorite sports teams, artists and find out what you can do!

Step 4. Get sponsors! You'll be surprised how many people are as excited about your title as you are. I was getting my hair done at my local salon (Hair Salon in Summit, NJ- they're amazing!) and the receptionist had read about my title in the local paper and they hooked me up with a year of free styling! I never would have expected it, so definitely let people know about your title and see what happens!

Step 5. Get good photos taken. Find a photographer you love and have a photoshoot in your crown and sash! You don't need to spend a ton, just make sure you like the photographer and their work. Not only are these photos great for autograph cards, you'll want to have them for publicity and personal purposes. This title is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and you want good pictures to remember this year. Think about it, your kids will see these someday!

Step 6. Be kind to everyone everywhere! People do things for nice people. I love shopping at alice + olivia when I'm in New York City, and love chatting with the employees at the Bryant Park store. I was blown away when they told me they loved how passionate I was about my favorite charity, Broadway Cares Equity Fights AIDs and offered to throw me a shopping party to raise money for the charity of my choice! We raised a ton of money, and I'm so grateful. You never know what will come out of chatting with people and being nice to everyone!

Step 7. Ignore the drama and have fun. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Never take it for granted. Be active! Your year will fly by so make the most of it! Remember to stay humble and never let the crown get to your head. You won this title, now it's your chance to show everyone why.

xoxo TTT (NJ)

No comments:

Post a Comment